I was incredibly lucky to travel to Italy with one of my fellow bloggers. It was beautiful trip that was filled with many lessons that I needed. I decided to detail those here, with some pictures that highlight my journey.
**I’d also like to shout out my travel agent, Vikki. If you need someone to help book and plan the major parts of your trip, I highly recommend her. She was very patient and got us a great deal!
1) Language is an incredibly perceptive and powerful concept. It has the ability to draw people together, tell a story, and showcase who you are. It is decidedly relative – each region shares their own primary language and then dialect. Not knowing and knowing a shared language both creates community and disconnect.
2) We are all trying to live. As humans, we share that. We are trying to understand and make meaning for life, however that may be, how deep or un-deep that may seem. This unites us and both brings diversity.
3) We all travel differently and have different ideas of what it means to be on holiday or vacation.
4) Yet, we aren’t that different. We just have different ways of expressing basic needs.
5) The world is much bigger than your experience alone. For every one moment of your life there are billions more happening at the time.
6) Do not be afraid of what seems different or out of the ordinary for you. Do many things. Try things once. Challenge.
7) Mind your manners. Learning “please,” “thank you,” and “have a good day” in any language goes far in every culture. People appreciate effort and politeness.
8) Coffee is literally better in every other country outside the US.
9) Italian wine will turn non believers into wine worshippers.
10) Meals are meant to be savored over hours and enjoyed over laughs and conversation.
11) I’m not ugly. Something is wrong with American men.😂😂
12) If you travel once, you’ll travel forever. Seeing one place, one time is never enough.
13) You deserve to give yourself the gift of humanity. Not your well intentioned versions of humanity, but the real deal- how people different than you experience life and immersing yourself into that life. You also deserve rest and rejuvenation.
14) A smile and an open mind invites like minded individuals.
15) Yes, pasta is better in Italy.
16) Men across the world post the same kinds of Tinder photos.
17) It is nice to enjoy your meal, savor your wine, and sit at a table for hours. Other countries have eating out right with the ultimate slow down.
18) Life is infinitely larger and stranger than anything the mind can conjure. Live it. Go places. Talk to strangers. Laugh with everyone. You get one. Live it.
Oh, all food will taste awful when you return to the States. I can’t tell you if it gets better! 😂