It’s been about 4 days since the start of this experiment and I will be totally honest;
THIS IS A BAD IDEA
The original rules were too restricting and just made me want to swipe more, unmatch unnecessarily, and just freak out in general when I wouldn’t get a response when I felt like I should have. So, there have been some changes made to the rules.
For those who can’t remember or just don’t know, here are the rules (updated rules in bold):
- Only have a conversation with 3 people at a time.
- If I am having genuine conversation with all 3, I can not swipe any more to attempt to match with additional people.
- Being that people don’t always auto-match with whomever you swipe right on, I’m giving myself up to 5 right swipes in a 24 hour period. (I will be working on the Honor System lol).
- The 5 right swipe rule may cause some problems being that if I swipe right 5 times and they all end up coming back as matches. If this ever happens, at that time I must make a decision on who I want to focus on and unmatch the other people.
- However, if one of the 5 matches messages me first, I must respond to them. I can still keep the other matches in my queue at that point, but I must make a decision on if I will pursue further within a day.
- I cannot swipe right on someone with no details in their “About Me”.
- I’m able to swipe right on individuals who have just one sentence in their “About Me”, but it has to catch my eye and not be some boring ass shit.
- If there’s any doubt on the person I’m looking at, I HAVE TO Swipe Left on them. It could be the sexiest person in the world; If there’s doubt, swipe left. (Reason being is because that doubt will cause me to continue swiping, sequentially breaking my first rule. Especially if I run out of right swipes for the day).
- If I match with someone, send a message, and no communication is made within 24 hours, I am free to unmatch, and continue to swipe right and start another conversation.
- Once there has been three consecutive days of no contact even after having genuine conversation, I MUST unmatch to keep things tidy and avoid conversing with multiple people at the same time.
- I can unmatch at any time.
- Messaging someone multiple times to get their attention is not allowed. If you have responded already, you have to wait. They must respond on their own free will.
Current issues I’ve run into
Anxiety from waiting to see if the person responds. Especially if they take a super long time. This is why the change was made to rule 1.
People who are clearly just “looking for friends” (normal or fwb). Am I auto left swiping these guys or nah? (I still haven’t made a decision on this. I may swipe right now since I’m giving myself 3 conversations now)
Accidental right swipes. (Do they count?)
Unmatching just for the sake of moving on so you can get to other matches quicker; Which sort of circumvents the process here, but also allows you to talk to someone that genuinely wants to talk to you rather than people who use Tinder as a time passer.
Unmatching seems like you’re doing a bad deed. Its very hard, especially if the person seems nice.
(you know, since I’m actually paying attention to profiles now)
EVERYONE’S a young professional. 🙄 Jesus, use a better phrase to describe yourself.
(Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with being a young professional, but at this point just tell me what you do if you want people to know you have a decent job)
A lot of people love to hike or work out.
(This is no longer an indicator of if I’m attracted to you or not)
Nobody really knows what they want
A lot of people seem to thing that filling out the “About Me” is trivial…
I think I’m expecting too much. Lol
All in all…
I think I’ve matched with about 6 people since starting this. 1 unmatched me (probably an accidental swipe right, lol). I unmatched 1 (due to the 24 hour no response rule), and another 1 I unmatched even after having ok conversation with, but I felt like he was just bored (maybe that one was a mistake).
The other three, well, I’m talking to them. Nothing exciting to report though. I’m working on weaning myself off of the application due to the fact that I don’t want it to start controlling my life. I have a lot of free time so it’s easy to get consumed into it.
Be sure to follow the craziness or lack of…who knows. All of my posts will be categorized under The Tinder Experiment so you should be able to follow each post there and keep up with if this is a major success or a total failure.